Alright, so you finally make the big leap in moving to Los Angeles to pursue your dreams, now what? The next hardest step is getting your first job in the Entertainment Industry.
If you want to know how exactly I made it happen in less than a year living in LA check out this post.
Having spent the majority of my career in entertainment, I get asked for advice on the best ways to break into the the business. So, here is a countdown of tips I have learned along the way:
Here are my seven tips in breaking into the industry you've always dreamed of being in:
1. Check job sites LITERALLY every single day. Look on Indeed.com, LinkedIn, Mediabistro, Craigslist, but also entertainment specific sites. My secret sites that have landed me jobs are https://www.entertainmentcareers.net/, http://www.anonymousproductionassistant.com/uta-joblist/. and backstage.com.
2. Network and make connections everywhere you go. Always reach out to people on social media and say hi to that stranger at the store. You have to be your best work mode at the office and work events, obviously. But in reality, everywhere you go is an opportunity to make connections, because you never know who you will run into, especially being in LA. I actually meet my best connections at events I go to for fun. You build relationships on a friendly term then the business talk will flow. After, you exchange information I always reach out the next day to stay in touch. Those relationships will naturally progress. For instance, if you come across a business opportunity or a news article that you think your new contact would like go ahead and share it with them!
3. Always work on something or towards your next goal when you have free time.
4. Be picky!! I knew my next job NEEDED to be in the industry I wanted. I couldn't take any longer not being there. When I got a call back for a decent job in fashion PR job, I declined even going for an interview. My first and most important goal was to get in the entertainment industry. From there on out, I was extremely picky to ONLY apply to jobs in the film, entertainment, and music industry.
5. Don't be afraid to start at the bottom. You may have to take an entry level, receptionist, or assistant job starting off. Embrace your time there and meet as many people as you can...that is your way in! Let me tell you from my own experience, it will be pretty bad pay starting off, but if this is your dream you will stick it through and make the most of it. I work tons of side jobs in order to make a living here and most people at my work do the same.
6. Be confident!! Just like I talked about during my interview process, you have to show that you have what it takes. Even if you have little to no experience, you have to prove that you have what it takes to succeed at the role. There is so much competition and so many people are fighting for their way in, so stand out!
7. Never give up and be persistent. Keep bugging those contacts you have and attending workshops. Keep perfecting your portfolio. Keep calling back places you have interviewed at. The entertainment industry is tough and only the thick skin people will make it!!
Also, always be nice :) You never want to burn bridges or be rude to a stranger that could be your way in the business.
Do you have any other advice on working in the entertainment industry? Tell me in the comments below and good luck!!